About Geoff
Jeff's SiteArchives
 Contact Us
 Links Page
home / archives / 1984 / 14th August

Close of the Los Angeles Olympics.

The Los Angeles Olympics finishes with the United States winning a total of 174 medals - 83 gold, 61 silver, and 30 bronze, a record. The Games were the first to be staged without government funding and managed by entrepreneur, Peter Ueberroth, named Time "Man of the Year", the Games returned a profit of $215 million. 60% of the profit went back to the Olympic movement, with the remaining 40% being used to set up the Amateur Athletic Foundation of Los Angeles.